P. Angela Webster Building
325 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 1Z7
- Year of Completion: 1912
- Architect: Thomas Hooper
- Vancouver Heritage Register Status: Not Listed
Completed in 1912, the P. Angela Webster Building is a ten-storey masonry and stone structure, erected with reinforced concrete. A design of prolific architect, Thomas Hooper, the P. Angela Webster Building was originally built as a warehouse and office building and was designed in the French Renaissance style.
The following is an excerpt from The Daily Province, March 2, 1912, pg 34: “Superior Warehouse Facilities are Here”:
A handsome pressed brick and stone business block, ten stories high, to be devoted to the uses of manufacturer’s agents, is being constructed at the foot of Howe street by the National Finance Company, Ltd., and Mr. J.W. Horne.
The building, designed by Architect Thomas Hooper, upon which construction was started July 1, last year, by Messrs. Adkinson and Dill, will be completed during the first week in April of the present year, and when completed will present an appearance equal to the finest buildings in Vancouver.
It is being erected at a cost of $108,000…
The building is of reinforced concrete construction throughout, faced with sand and lime pressed brick. The first floor facings are of artificial limestone and granite, and the main entrance is now being finished in ornamental plaster and Alaskan marble. All of the partitions are to be of fireproof material, although none has been put into place as yet, as the floor space is to be rented on the unit system, and offices arranged to suit the tenants. The heating will be afforded by a low pressure steam system.
Employing a simple design of French rennasaince [sic] period, it combines the utmost utility of space with a dignified and graceful style of beauty.
Mr. Thomas Hooper has also designed among other pretentious structures in Vancouver, the wing to the new court house, the artificial ice rink and the Winch building.